Sunday, July 12, 2009

REACH, An Urban Musical Instrument


This interactive musical chimes art installation has been on display since 1996, but apparently, even though for 8 months I used the Herald Square subway stop every day, I was too oblivious to notice it. And now, that I frequent the 6 and am getting better acquainted with the Union Square stop, now that I only come to Herald Square when I'm meeting up with Nate, now I notice this green installation. What is it about human brain that only observes closely the unfamiliar?

It's quite wonderful. To quote the NYC Subway website: "This piece consists of a rack hanging along each platform with sensors along the length. Waving your hand in front of a sensor creates a corresponding sound from the rack-- on the other side of the station. People on the opposite platforms can interact using the instrument."

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP